11/29/11

The Wedding Dress

           She stands, looking at herself in the mirror, eyes covered in tears, “this is it” she says, “I’m finally getting married.” This was the day my interviewee, Lindsay, had dreamed about ever since she was a kid.  Looking in the mirror, you saw Lindsay, standing in her gorgeous, white, laced, sparkly, strapless dress. Her make-up was perfectly done and her hair waved in a seamlessly natural look. Lindsay continued explaining to me about her dress, “The dress was literally the first one I tried on.”
Her wedding took place on the beach – the perfect setting. Wind flowing, waves crashing in a sequenced pattern, the sun just on the brink of setting, everything was in place. All of her friends and family were seated, patiently waiting for the bride. Brady, her husband, was standing in front of them, wearing his nicest suit. Heather, the maid of honor, was waiting eagerly at the altar, finally getting to see her best friend evolve from a woman to a wife as she walks down the aisle. Fixing the last piece of hair, Lindsay was ready to go down the aisle.
Everyone turned to see the breath-taking bride. Strutting down the aisle, Lindsay locked eyes with her dad, who was tearing up as she walked with him. The moment Brady saw his wife-to-be, his face immediately lit up. She stood in front of the reception in awe of the whole experience. Her old selfish ways of life would finally disappear with the words “I do”. Lindsay would no longer just be living for herself, but for another person. She explains “We now work together as a team in this world, rather than alone.”
Then the magnificent ceremony began. Friends and family watched in awe, they were finally seeing two people madly in love, come together “for as long as they both shall live.” The minister states, “Take hands and repeat after me: I, Brady, take you, Lindsay, to be my wedded wife, to have and to hold, for better for worse, for richer for poorer, to love and to cherish, for as long as we both shall live”. After exchanging these words, Lindsay and Brady were now considered Mr. and Mrs. Closson.
“Perfect” were the words Lindsay used to explain her wedding to me. She was now not one person, but one of two. Lindsay enthusiastically explained to me about her amazing husband saying, “My life is so wonderful because of the man I get to share it with. He provides love, protection, grace, forgiveness, affection, friendship and respect. He treats me as though I am the most wonderful thing that has ever happened to him, and we enjoy the moments we share together.” I got the awesome opportunity to meet Brady not to long ago. All I can say is she is understating his awesomeness. Brady treats her like a princess, and Lindsay is so madly in love with him. They are the perfect couple.
Her wedding dress is a reminder of her breath-taking wedding, and her amazing friends and family. The dress symbolizes her “once in a lifetime partnership” with her great husband, Brady. This object shows her life evolving, from being single to becoming a team of two. This wedding dress is not just spectacular, but a memory that she will cherish forever.
For me, I take their partnership as an example of who my husband must be. He has to treat me like Brady does Lindsay. And like Lindsay is to Brady, I must be so madly in love with my future husband. He has to be my best friend and someone who will provide “love, protection, grace, forgiveness, affection, friendship, and respect.” I thank Lindsay and Brady for being an amazing model and influence on me and my life. Lindsay last words to me in the interview were simply, “I am so glad my wedding dress is in my life, because it reminds me I have a husband to share my life with. And for that, I am thankful.”


20111122-145903.jpg

1 comment:

  1. Such a lovely post Kirsten. Beautifully written! Love it. And it carries so much truth! I wish Lindsay and Brady a wonderful married life. And may God continue to bless their union! May He continue to unite them more and more with His love. Amen!

    ReplyDelete